Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A strange, strange question

My dog today got hold of the carcass of an animal, the likes of which I've never seen before. It's clearly a mammal, based on the few remaining tufts of fur and bone. (I understand from my daughter it had a spine and a rib cage, which appear to have been consumed by the dog in front of her. Gross, I know. Fortunately, I have a kid whose school does a lot of nature training -- they dissected owl pellets in second grade and were required to figure out what animals the parts belonged to. So no nightmares. Yet.) It had a largish skull -- 4 or 5 inches from snout to what appears to be left of the neck. Small eyes, small ears, and HUGE teeth. Large canines coming up from the bottom protruding like tusks, and lots of small, sharper teeth in between. Had the thing been alive, my old pooch would never have been a match for it. I've gone to the state game site, and to the US site, but couldn't find a place to help my identify the thing. I do have a picture. Anyone have any idea where I can find out?

Posted by rundeep.
To reply to this post, click HERE.
Requires Microsoft Passport.
Tags: ...